Thursday, September 25, 2008

What do you do when your kid is a brat???

What do you do when your kid is a brat???Pampered and spoiled like a Siamese cat...Blaming the child is a lie and a shame, we know exactly who's to blame.... The Mother and the Father.... Oompa Loompa Doopity doo....

We have a few brats at our house these days and I am having a hard time pointing the finger of blame at myself...I am sure it is somewhat my doing, but I am just doing the best I can ..without being sent to social services.

I tend to work more while they are at school than I do in the summer and I confess I get more aggitated with them than I do in the summer, but seriously...do they have to scream and shout 98 percent of the time that they are home?? I hate it, and that is being kind.

I am sure you have all sorts of classes for me to sign up for, but I really am just venting...don't tell me to take a class, I already have taken several and to no avail. The last class I took with my Mom and she was so good and it lasted about four classes for me and then I thought I was waisting time here in this great class (which it was) when I could be doing something way more fun and make myself a fun mom instead of a tired mom who sat in a class all day dicovering what mistakes I have made and why...and beating myself up for it...

I have wonderful children, I really do. They are amazing and fun and happy and hiarious all summer long. Once school starts, all the demons come out and posess them in horrible ways. I am just baffeled at why this is... If it is truly the parents fault then why are my kids so good without all the school?? When it is just me and my hubby, they are so fun. Ponder this little ones and tell me your ideas. (please don't tell me to take a class or I will scream!!)

and spanking them is out of the question for me...

4 comments:

Jenni said...

It is good to hear I'm not alone in the struggles of children. Hummmmm that is a tough one. Unfortunately they are exposed to so many other influences and people when they are at school. Parenting is such an individual thing taylored to the personalities of the little angels in our homes. Be it sweet angels or angels of destruction. Here is what I have been pondering since reading your post. On days that I work I know that I am much shorter with my children and get frustrated easily with them also. So I feel for you on that. But I have come to find that when my kids are driving me crazy and being so naughty as they can be, that making sure I say my daily prayers and read my scriptures becomes essential in helping me to get through the day easier. I have many a time pleaded with the Lord for guidance when I am at my whits end. Hang in there....you can survive it - even if it means escaping outside for a little peace and quiet as I have found myself doing on occasion. Those are my thoughts.....you can take it or leave it, either way. :)
(And that class is really good - I am enjoying it....:))

Jenni said...

Oh, another thought.....Is there a more demanding schedule when they are in school verses when they are not.......that thought just popped in my head so I thought I would share. I also think you should know that you are a wonderful mother and I have often been impressed with how you have handled some of the things your children have done. :)

the Arpkes said...

Kim! Kim! Kim! Do not beat yourself up! I think there are "little Demons" in all of us waiting to come out when we are tired. Of course summer is so lax and we get to sleep in and play all day and there is not a certain schedule that has to be followed. I think kids know how to push fand when to stop pushing their own parents buttons. School starts and they have to follow rules of other seniority who they don't even know. Some kids have a hard time with that. I don't know what is going on but I will give you an idea of what we did for Braxton. He kept getting his card pulled and I would nag on him and it only seemed to make things worse. So instead we decided to try to reward positive behavior. I went to Walmart (without the kids), and bought a bunch of goodies and gadgets out of the party section along with gumballs, and other misc. items. When ever Braxton comes home without getting his card pulled that day, he get to choose one item from the "goodie bag". I scream with excitment and praise him and make a huge deal of how proud I am of him. If he goes all week without getting a card pulled, then he gets to get an airhead on friday. This has seemed to work and excite him. Somedays he still gets his card pulled only for little things though. Also I believe a lot of it is personality and you can't change that! Good Luck! Your a great mom so hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Could it be something as basic as they're exhausted or hungry or over-stimulated? Because it can't be that you're a bad mom, because you're awesome and perfect in every way!! I just know when my kids act up they usually just need some alone (down) time, one on one time from me (my full attention), some food or something to drink, and/or some sleep. Of course, my kids are never brats and I'm Mary Poppins, so I don't have this problem at my house ever, so who am I to give you any ideas!! Hey, if anybody has the secret answer to this question/dilemma of yours PLEASE share it with all of us. Love you always and no matter what-- you're my bestest dance buddy and driving way too fast with me friend in the whole world!!