Saturday, December 1, 2007

Happy home-made soup

So, my family is really doing well and the other night I made the BEST split pea soup ever!! All the kids ate it happily. It is green, so #1 girl had some reservations, but I told her she could eat some GF Crackers with it and she was soooo happy. She ate TWO bowls full. I also found some GF sausage and cooked that in it for extra flavor. Try mixing in whatever sounds good. Bacon, meaty ham bones....What have you. This recipe I adapted from Disney's family cookbook I made it very basic. It smells so good while it is cooking.



Split Pea Soup

2 Tbls Olive Oil
1 1/2 Cups chopped Onions ( make them really small if your kids don't like onions)
2 Crushed Garlic Cloves
a small bag of split peas
6 or more cups of clear liquid( I use GF chicken stock or GF Gravy and water)
Dill weed to taste
Salt & Pepper to taste

Saute' the onions and Garlic in the oil until everything smells awesome and the onions are translucent. Add the Split peas, the liquid, and the dill. Cook uncovered for 1 or two hours stirring occasionally. The soup is done when it all is soft and mushy looking. Season with salt and pepper. Top with whatever your family loves.

This is a good way to use leftover Gravy...Yum!!

No comments: